Wednesday, July 30, 2008

The Shack

I finally finished reading The Shack last night. At 1AM.

I started reading it a couple of weeks ago while in Texas at Dana's and at Tessa's but had to leave before I finished the book. Kevin bought it and completed it on the trip home and then left it on the plane! I refused to buy another copy anywhere else other than Costco b/c they have it for only $9. So, we bought it this past weekend and I read the second half of the book last night.

There is a lot of hype about this book and I get it. Really incredible and tragic story that had me completely engrossed. It was full of thought provoking and insightful material. And I was completely satisfied with the ending. Overall, I really enjoyed this book. Kevin and I are actually going to read it again together and try to digest some of the heavy stuff that is easy to skim over the first time around. I had to stop reading a couple of times and really dwell on what I was reading. I'm not going to reveal the book but the part about forgiveness really rocked me.

I found it odd that Satan, demons and spiritual warfare were never discussed. Especially when angels appear. Biblically they are always at battle yet the book never brings it up. Also not so sure I want to see the movie that the author seems to really want to make. I feel like it might clash with the images in my head. And I can't imagine it being as powerful as reading the book? But I'm sure there will be a movie and hopefully it will answer a lot of questions for those who do not have anything to believe in.

Definitely recommend the book. Look forward to reading it again!

2 comments:

Tessa said...

I loved this book! I think it explains the Trinity in such a beautiful and uncomplicated way. I think the story line is gripping and leads you into a place that you might not go. I didn't realize that Satan wasn't mentioned but I find that an interesting observation. I was made well aware that we are sometimes at the mercy of other peoples choices as well as our own. That no matter how we choose to live our lives, we are at the mercy of life all around us. We can choose to find God in everything and rest in the knowledge that he will prevail despite our circumstances or we can be frightened, depressed or out of control when we lean to our own understanding. It confirmed what I have always known, that we to fix our gaze on what lies ahead of us and not on present circumstances. Because our minds are too itty bitty to see the big picture. We have to live as though we are little children and obey our father. Tough concept when we can't physically see him and our minds are filled with so much knowledge of this world and not enough knowledge of the spiritual world. I love when God uses something like this to reveal himself to me. I pray that I can rest in him. It is so much more satisfying than trying to do it on my own.

Heather Richter said...

Glad you finished...Matthew wanted to know why sin was not mentioned...kind of goes along with the whole satan thing...Although I agree that it is odd not to mention satan and sin, I am happy I was able to focus on God and take Him out of the box I(have Him in...I wasn't distacted (or fearful for that matter) of anything while I was ready...It was kind of nice for a change.