Thursday, July 13, 2006

How Do I Love Thee...

Kevin and I read The Five Love Languages on our honeymoon (the magnificent Inn at Manzanillo Bay in Mexico). Good stuff. For your reference, the 5 languages are:

1. Words of Affirmation
2. Receiving Gifts
3. Quality Time
4. Acts of Service
5. Physical Touch

When I read this book, I was really confused because I wasn't completely sure what my receiving love languages were [I'm confident that the way I show love is (1) Word of Affirmation and (2) Quality time]. Ultimately, I decided that my top two receiving languages were also (1) Quality Time and (2) Word of Affirmation. But I never really gave it much credit or after-thought. AND on top of that, I was sort of annoyed by Kevin's primary receiving love language: Acts of Service.

First of all, I'm such a bad servant. I'm selfish and lazy and these two traits do not lend themselves to being a servant. Secondly, it sort of (totally) made me think that Kevin was wanting a second mother and it annoyed me. And subsequently, I've never really worked to 'speak' Kevie's LLs. I promise to be more considerate of your LLs, sweetie!!

But the point of this rant is actually about me. And it is that I think I've finally figured out what mine are. One of the ways I feel loved is with (1) Gifts *sigh*. The sigh is because this was the one gift I was sure I did NOT want to have. How vain & shallow is it to need gifts to feel loved?!?! Well folks...I'm here to tell you. I need/like/love the gifts. I'd go on to explain that I don't mean that a gift has to be of monetary value but I'm going to assume that that is understood. Actually, one of the most romantic things Kevin has ever done for me is to bring me home a loaner laptop from work while I was on maternity leave. The fact that he took time from his work day to check out the computer because he knew I was bored while at home alone with an infant was the ultimate sign of affection to me. Also, I find myself at time daydreaming that Kevin might one day - because he loves me & because he knows I hate chores - surprising me by hiring a cleaning crew to scour our house top to bottom! So...I'll admit it once and for all - gifts make me feel loved. Boom.

No comments: